Tuesday, October 03, 2006

An Update

This is another personal post. It is hard to think about much else these days.

Sunday morning someone picked my mom up and brought her to church. She came over to me and hugged me and whispered in my ear, "I am very confused and disoriented. I don't really know where to go, and I can't remember anyone's name." With a little direction, she sat with someone she knows well and struggled until she got her Bible open to the passage. Then she seemed to be more peaceful. I tried not to pay too much attention to her--I was concerned I'd lose my train of thought.

She had another small stroke a couple of days ago. Last night she only held a thought for less than a minute. She said, "It feels strange, but I am just living in the present moment. I know I won't remember it long."


This morning two nice therapists from the nursing home came to the house with my mother for an assesment of any safety issues. I'm meeting this afternoon with the friend from church who is going to be her caregiver.


Mom was excited and happy to be here and see her cat, and she went right out to the deck and sat in the swing. I hope we have some nice days remaining so she can do that for a while when she gets home. She did remember where things were and seemed to get oriented pretty quickly. She seems tired and weak, but she says she will be fine once she can sleep in her own bed. I know that feeling! As for mental clarity or awareness, she has what she has, and I want her to be at home as long as she can. That could change at any moment, and I am all too aware of that. But we are going to try this and see how it goes.

So she will be coming home Thursday morning. I'm a little scared.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew what to say. You're in our prayers. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and Mom. Wish I could hug you.

Anonymous said...

Prayers coming from Ohio too.

Questing Parson said...

Holding you in His Spirit.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Thanks to those who are praying. I do know God is working in it all. Even that the woman who is coming is going to be able to.
The fellowship of the Body of Christ is a wonderful thing!

net said...

Bless you!

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. You sure have had a lot lately.

You'll be in my prayers as you walk through this time...

Jules said...

((((Singing Owl))))

zorra said...

I'm praying for you and your mom, for patience, calm, clarity, and the small incidental blessings of each day.

Unknown said...

Buy quality oak furniture, beds, wardrobes, bedroom, dining, kitchen and occasional furniture with fast UK delivery from Factory Direct Furniture UK.fortune woods