Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring Changes

It always comes at season’s change,
This sense of fleeting life and time
…and loss.
A scent of spring in air still cold,
The sound of doves and rushing water.

In bed at dawn the window shows,
The slowly changing clouds and sky
…and trees,
I watch for buds and signs of green
Feeling my body’s sense of time.

Once it seemed I had forever,
The days were sweetly slow
…and warm.
I listened to the voices loved,
Anticipating time unfolding.

So many voices passed and gone,
Those I thought would always be
…and here.
And death and loss were for some others,
People not at all like me.

I close my eyes and see the faces,
Smiling, frowning, happy, sad
…and mine.
And always time to make things right
Time to change and time to grow.

Spring pushes up beneath the ice, and
Snow as winter passes on
…and melts.
Yet, brings a sense of life that is
Not meant to last forever.

How did it happen that I now
Look back at seasons lived and spent
…and over?
Marriage, children, work and change,
Life abundant, full of grace.

My eyes look like my father’s eyes,
My hair looks like my mother’s.
I wake to birdsong bright
…and sweet.
And life seems short and swift
And must be cherished day by day.

Melancholy thoughts to greet
A beautiful spring morning,
I think of God’s eternal life
…and wonder.
What days will come and what,
Will spring’s change bring me?

6 comments:

Lori said...

Ahhhhh. Enjoying my morning coffee and your poem.

((((SO))))

LoieJ said...

I've been feeling an undercurrent of melancholy...your poem sums up a good deal of this. So many things are changing around me and with my relatives...and in this community. The "economy" hasn't been kind to this area for over 20 years and now the crows are coming home to roost.

Gilly said...

What a beautiful poem! "And life seems short and swift" really resonated with me. Time just seems to rush by, faster every week! I want to shout Stop! I haven't caught up with last week yet!

I'm going to trip over the end before I know I'm there.......

Betsy said...

Thanks for the poem; fits some of my mood these days.

And you have a new photo!

Sally said...

wonderful poetry Singing Owl. May spring bring hidden treasures with it!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that you are sad.