Friday, July 31, 2009

A Childish Friday Five

Rev Gal Kathryn says, "Maybe you are better at it than me, but my first-born, responsible demeanor rarely lets up enough for me to do frivolous silly things...without a good reason. My friend will stand up in a crowded restaurant and serenade me with an operatic rendition of Happy Birthday. My sister is very good at grabbing the joy in the moment. I seem to need a child to bring it out in me and even then… it takes a lot." She asks us to celebrate the spontaneous child in all of us… or at least the one that we admire in someone else:

1) On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being I can’t do this now I am about to jump into a pit of plastic balls at the mini-mall and 1 being I can’t do this now until I can get all of the fonts on my blog to match – where are you?

Maybe a three. Like K's friend, I could stand up and serenade you, and I can roll down a hill if the moment seems to call for it, but I am also way too aware of looking silly sometimes!

2) What is the silliest/most childlike thing you have done as an adult?

Hmmm...I am having a hard time thinking of silly childlike things right at this moment. (I'm on a lunch break.) Maybe rolling down a hill, as I mentioned in #1. One time I recall was with my friend Much2Ponder who blogs at "In Case You Were Wondering." She is more streamlined, so she went further than I did, but I guess length of roll was not the point, just the willingness to do it! Another time I watched some kids sliding down a grassy hill on pieces of cardboard, like sledding in snow. It looked like so much fun I had to try it. I flew down that hill and scared myself spitless, and I only did it once, but it was fun. (It was made a bit more precarious by the fact that I was wearing colonial garb instead of a tee shirt and shorts, but that is another issue.) If I had better balance, eyesight, etc. there would be a LOT more childlike things I'd do. The spirit, indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

3) Any regrets?

Huh? From doing childlike things? Nope. Or the regret was so transitory that I forgot it.

4) What is the silliest thing you have ever seen another adult do on purpose?

Someone who shall remain unnamed danced around the room with a toilet seat on their head. They were sober.

5) What is something you wish you did when you had the chance?

Sing on stage with a terrific band. I was with work colleagues and was too embarrassed, but today I'd do it in a second! Life is short!

BONUS: For our ‘I told you so’ sides – what thing did you skip doing and you’re really glad you did!

I'd rather not get too specific, but it involved flamage.

3 comments:

rev h-d said...

Flamage, huh? Better to not get burned!
Colonial garb and slidding down a hill, silly, yes, but sounds like a lot of fun for everyone!
Great play!

Terri said...

Well, you can be silly, I think! Fun play!!

Anonymous said...

Being silly keeps you young :)