Friday, September 18, 2009

Remembering Mary Travers



This video is how I remember Mary Travers--that strong, deep voice belting out the music, tossing that blond hair back out of her eyes...singing for all she was worth and Paul and Peter harmonizing too...amazing harmony.

I am a Peter, Paul and Mary fan from way back. Oh sure, I came of age in the '60s so we all loved folk music to some degree. But Ken and I own every album they made, including one very non-folky one. I know ever word to every song they sang, not just the well-known ones that made the Top 40. We also own Paul Stookey's solo album (love it) which is simply titled "Paul."

Peter, Paul and Mary were singing during many memorable moments of my life. That sentimental song, "Puff the Magic Dragon" brought tears to my eyes as a kid. I was kissed under the stars at the famous Hollywood Bowl while listening to PP&M sing. After another concert a friend remarked, "Listening to those three is almost like they are in your living room giving you a personal concert." It was true. I don't know how they managed it, but with their guitars, voices, lyrics, gentle humor and passion for justice they connected with their audience in a way that was uncanny.

Our kids love them too. Actually, our kids can quote the entire "Paul Talk" track--side two of the "Peter, Paul and Mary in Concert" album. I laughed so hard the first time I heard it that I nearly fell off my sister's couch.

I sang "I'm in Love With a Big Blue Frog" and people thought it was about Ken. My late sister, Darlaine, our friend Rod Turner, and I sang their songs, and others, at a few Valentine's banquets! I recall many evenings when Rod and I sat in my living room singing and singing...PP&M, Ian and Sylvia, and Dylan. I was so very young then!

I am saddened to hear of Mary's passing, and it almost feels as though I lost a personal friend--yet another reminder of the brevity of life in this world.

9 comments:

Jeni said...

I remember the first time I ever heard PP&M sing. My Mom and I were watching tv together and the thing that amazed me was that my Mom thought they were fantastic too! One of the rare things in life that we ever agreed on was the quality of music put forth by this great trio. I still very much love to hear their music, so guess it has a good bit of longevity, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

That was a great little trip to the past Dorcas...thanks! Let's face it, many of the icons of the 60's/70's just cannot be replaced. I'm excited right now because I've got 5th row/centre tickets to see Aretha Franklin on Nov. 8th when she comes to the National Arts Centre here in Ottawa. Goin' with my daughter and as many friends as we can get! Woo!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Maureen? Goin' to see Aretha?? Won't that be fun?!

Lisa said...

Very sad news this week.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tribute. I love their music, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom. I was thinking of my memories of Peter, Paul, and Mary. I remember so vividly listening to them growing up that until I sat down and thought about it I thought I was at the concert as a child. I guess watching all those PBS concerts paid off.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Hi Josh! That made me smile. :-) I remember the PBS concerts too, but PP&M were older, grayer, heavier. Yeah. It happens. I'm glad you enjoyed their music too.

Grady said...

I still remember them too - although I never saw them live, I grew up with "Peter Paul, and Mommy" on the phono - to be followed by Burl Ives ...

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Yep, I remember the Burl Ives album too! (((Grady))) Miss you!