Monday, November 01, 2010

Thankfulness 2010 #1 Singing

Yesterday I went shopping. I'm not a person who loves to shop, so it has been a while since I've set foot in a retail establishment (other than the grocery store or one of the "big box stores)." So I was surprised to find Christmas decorations. Can we please finish fall before we rush headlong into Christmas?

Here in Wisconsin we have enjoyed a splendid fall season (certainly not always the case) with glorious sunny days. Now, the fall colors have faded, for the most part, and the fields are empty. Most of the trees are bare. It is November already!

I have been looking at old posts, perhaps because fall always makes me nostalgic. I read about my mother's failing memory, shedding a few tears as I read what I wrote on the Sunday morning she approached me at church looking distraught and admitting that she didn't know where to go, what to do, and couldn't remember anyone's name. I read about a trip to Washington, spending time with my dear sister who was suffering with Alzheimers and how hard it was to realize she didn't really know me--and then read about a later California trip to their time-share condo by the sea where she wasn't with us. She was in a group home.

I read about my sabbatical--a wonderful yet stressful time as I began to face facts--and then I read about my difficult resignation from my church pastorate of ten years.

Last year at this time I had just met up with my brother-in-law Larry and his new wife. I posted about how strange it was to see Larry with someone other than my late sister, Darlaine. Now Larry is gone as well. I'm so glad that I was not aware he actually had only weeks to live.

I see that quite a few of my posts for the last few years have been about difficult times....and life is what it is. However, as I said, it is November. Almost Thanksgiving. And, as is always the case living here where seasons are pronounced, the changing scene outside the window makes me deeply aware of life passages. I've decided to spend some deliberate time this month in being thankful. Each day I'll post something--at least that's the plan. Care to join me? Feel free to comment, or to link to a post on your own blog.

Today I am thankful for the opportunity to sing in a wonderful choir with a wonderful director. Singing comes naturally to me, but it has been a long time since I did it in any sort of formal way. It is good to sing with others, to polish things, to hear the progress from week to week. I'm happy that soon the sounds of gospel will be shared with our community. Great music, great people, great to have a voice to raise in song!

1 comment:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

There have been so many difficult changes in your life.

I love your thankfulness!